help-liquidwar6

Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Visual tuning of the floating HUD

From: Kasper Hviid
Subject: Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Visual tuning of the floating HUD
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 15:31:00 +0200

2009/10/5 Christian Mauduit <address@hidden>:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, October 5, 2009 4:08 pm, Kasper Hviid wrote:
>> I have played a bit around with gl-floating-const.xml, and there is
>> quite a few posibilities! For instance, it seems quite easy to create
>> some fixed-size bubbles with text display only. There could easily be
>> several different floating HUD's to choose from.
> Yes, the only "hard" point is how to make that controllable from the map
> designer point of view. I mean, you design a map for 0.0.7beta you still
> want it to work on 6.0.0. Even 6.1.3. To achieve this one has to stay
> rather "orthogonal" between map specifications and actual hud
> implementations. Those parameters are really technical low-level stuff
> which definition & meaning might change from one version to another.

I can see the problem if each single level in the game had specific
HUDs, designed to work on version 0.0.7 BETA!

How about if the player have had several pre-defined floating HUDs to
chose from?

On the other hand, maybe them Linux guys would find it more amusing to
toy with gl-floating-const.xml themselves, rather than having some
pre-defined choices..

>> One thing i noticed was that it was imposible to determine how
>> marble.jpeg will be colorized -- the contrast between dark and light
>> will vary alot, and it will sometimes be inverted, so that what is
>> dark in marble.jpeg will end up being light. Perhaps the best bet
>> would be some kind of abstract, decorative graphic.
> That's not quite true. It's true if you let the game use defauts, but
> your're "free" to enforce the values for 'hud-color-frame-bg' and
> 'hud-color-frame-fg', which you can define in your map XML file.

dude, I can't get it to work!

> gauge-blink-period is a period that defines how long the display will show
> (in deathmatch mode) the frags, then the percentages. 4000 means 2 seconds
> of frags, 2 seconds of percentage. Try a value of 500, you'll understand,
> I think ;)

I thought it was an error, when the HUD toggled between percentage and
some strange negative number. But the number of deaths is vital
information, so it makes sense.