Moving Target in the Makefile

From: Chen, Shihong
Subject: Moving Target in the Makefile
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 17:22:33 -0500

Hello,

I have a question regarding to the rules to make final executable.

The final action of our makefile is to have the executables and  header
files moved to the build directory using INSTALL, which will always override
the previous one even there is no change. Is that a single command to do it
more intelligently?  Basically, the file difference will be checked first
before the copying, so the previous timestamp will be kept if there is no
change with the former build.

Thanks in advance.

Shihong