RE: Moving Target in the Makefile

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: RE: Moving Target in the Makefile
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 09:13:14 -0500

%% Regarding RE: Moving Target in the Makefile; you wrote:

  cs> But we have twenty files separated in ten source directories
  cs> needed to be copied to export include directory. And it is very
  cs> hard to write all those files in the dependency rules. Is that
  cs> possible not having the condition testing for the file comparison,
  cs> only having single command to compare it first then override?

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you're trying to do, or what
you're asking for.

If you already have written all these $(INSTALL) rules, you could
change the value of the INSTALL variable from "install" to do the
compare first.

Or, you could write your own install script which did the compare first,
then invoked the real install, and set INSTALL to the name of your
script.

I feel like I'm not answering the question you're asking.  Maybe if you
provided a simple example I would be able to provide more help.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/