don't know how to install make

From: root
Subject: don't know how to install make
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 17:15:42 +1100

hi there, I read the INSTALL for make and when I tried using ./configure
it gave me this error message:

checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... no
checking for working aclocal... missing
checking for working autoconf... missing
checking for working automake... missing
checking for working autoheader... missing
checking for working makeinfo... missing
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... (cached) no
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH

The problem is my system doesn't have gcc installed and it seems to me
gcc is a  prerequisite?  thats on e , the other is the alocal ,
autoconf, or those files saying missing is in the make3-79.1 directory
and somehow it said they are missing, does anyone know why???