Re: FW: Make problems

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: FW: Make problems
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 11:25:29 -0500

%% "Panagiotis Markopoulos (ETG)" <address@hidden> writes:

  pm> I am trying to upgrade gcc to 2.95.3 so as to then upgrade the
  pm> kernel to 2.4.16 but make halts (makegccerror). Even trying to
  pm> upgrade make to latest version halts at make (even ./build.sh
  pm> halts which is intended for systems without make!)

  pm> Is it a problem of "make" really or is it soemthing else related
  pm> to my Linux installation?

The latter.

Any time you get a compiler error, that's a problem with your program or
your installation.  Make doesn't have anything to do with that, it just
runs the commands that are listed in the makefile.  If those commands
fail, it's not make's problem.

  pm> In file included from /usr/include/errno.h:36,
  pm>                  from /usr/src/gcc-2.95.3/libiberty/fnmatch.c:46:
  pm> /usr/include/bits/errno.h:25: linux/errno.h: No such file or directory
  pm> make[1]: *** [fnmatch.o] Error 1
  pm> make: *** [all-libiberty] Error 2

This looks like maybe you don't have your /usr/include/linux directory
set up correctly.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/