-C option for gnu make

From: Nagaraj, Manjunath
Subject: -C option for gnu make
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 08:04:10 -0600

Hi,
    I am using gnu make to compile and build few source files within subdirectories. I am facing with a problem here, when I try to compile there files. Being in the parent directory parent, when I give the make command
$(MAKE) -f (MAKEFILE) "-C" subdir; I am getting the error saying that the directory subdir is not existing even when the subdirectory subdir is existing. Is the syntax in the above command wrong? Are we not supposed to give the option within " "?
But the command $(MAKE) -f $(MAKEFILE) -C subdir is working fine.
Am I supposed to set any variable(flag) for make if I want the first command to execute without any errors.
Please help me in this regard.

Thanks,
Manju