Multiple targets via a single process (when using multiple jobs)

From: Frank Dicostanzo
Subject: Multiple targets via a single process (when using multiple jobs)
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 16:29:19 -0400

Hello

I would like to specify that a single operation creates multiple files. I tried

target1 target2 target3: dep1 ...
        create-targets...

however this is considered to be three different rules combined together instead of a single rule that creates 3 files. When you use multiple jobs, it will run this rule 3 times instead of just once.

How do I specify what I want?

I am thinking that the only way to do it is to create a virtual file which represents the multiple targets and make the targets1-3 dependant upon it. Its construction would then create the targets. Is there a more direct way?

Thanks

---
Frank DiCostanzo
DIGITAS