Re: suppressing "No such file or directory" upon include

From: Noel Yap
Subject: Re: suppressing "No such file or directory" upon include
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 17:45:01 -0400

Boris Kolpackov wrote:

Noel Yap <address@hidden> writes:
My "meantime solution" is to change include to -include once things
get stable.

I think I have an OK workaround for this:

.PHONY: default
default:

-include makefile

.PHONY: default
default: check-makefile

.PHONY: check-makefile
check-makefile:
        @if [[ -f $(2) ]]; \
        then \
          echo "gmake: *** No rule to make target \`$(2)'.  Stop." >&2; \
          false; \
        fi

The two problems I see are:
- The error is given very late in the build process.
- make spits out an error for the target check-makefile, too

Does anyone spot any other issues with this?

Thanks,
Noel