Re: suppressing "No such file or directory" upon include

From: Noel Yap
Subject: Re: suppressing "No such file or directory" upon include
Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 22:34:17 -0400

I was thinking that even if your patch isn't perfect, it may be worth submitting and adopting since, in many cases (at least in many of my cases), the makefile is able to be built. It's only in error cases in which it is not. If your patch is able to spit out file info without line info, that may be good enough for now and a new bug report can be filed for the lack of info reporting in this situation.

Hmmm, what if the file info is lost, too?  I think I may be willing to live
with this, too, especially if there's an option to tell make which behaviour it
should use (ie lots of false errors, or fewer real errors with less info).

MTC,
Noel

Boris Kolpackov wrote:

Noel Yap <address@hidden> writes:

Is there any way to suppress the "No such file or directory" error generated by "include" unless it's possible to create the included makefile?

I was thinking about fixing this some time ago but apparently to do
it right is going to be messy. As we know make gives an error message with a file name and a line number if makefile is missing and later, if it cannot be built, make just says "unable to build...". Now if we are to postpone the first message until rebuild time then we'll need to store this file:line information somewhere. And that's where things get messy.

I'd rather not use -include because it ignores errors altogether.

My "meantime solution" is to change include to -include once things
get stable.

hth,
-boris