Re: cost of -MP

From: Boris Kolpackov
Subject: Re: cost of -MP
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 13:50:22 -0500

Noel Yap <address@hidden> writes:

> Interesting, non-recursive was slower than recursive.  I suppose I can see
> this happening if there weren't that many directories in the project.  How
> many directories do you have?

It is 19 make re-executions. The reason non-recursive is slower is that I
haven't had a chance to optimize it yet. I actually expect it to be faster
than recursive (for obvious reasons).

> Regarding the topic at hand, we don't use -MP, but post-process the output
> and create empty targets for the header files.  For example:
>
>         my_header:

That's exactly what gcc does.

> We haven't performed any time comparisons, though.

Depending on how long it takes make to find out nothing needs to be done
this could be worthwhile.

-boris