Re: cost of -MP

From: Noel Yap
Subject: Re: cost of -MP
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 19:14:35 -0400

Boris Kolpackov wrote:

Noel Yap <address@hidden> writes:
It doesn't affect the build time very much, it affects the time before make starts the first command (or says that nothing needs to be done). In large
non-recursive builds this could be pretty annoying. Imagine every time you
say `make' you have to wait for 30 seconds before the first compiler execution
starts.

I count makefile parsing as part of the build time.

I've been starting to see this. I don't mind it all that much, but I was thinking one can start sticking $(warning I'm working on it. Hold your horses.)'s in the included makefiles. Yeah, it'll slow down the build, but it'll also give those who want to see something happening something to look at :-)

Come to think of it, having the $(warning) in each included makefile would be
overkill.  But one could create a function that would spit out a message only
every few seconds.

Noel