Re: aesthetics of variable references and function calls

From: Boris Kolpackov
Subject: Re: aesthetics of variable references and function calls
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 16:33:17 +0000 (UTC)

"Robert P. J. Day" <address@hidden> writes:

> i'm curious about what other folks use,

I use `()' in both function calls and variable references. I use `-'
to separate words in function names (e.g., foo-bar) and `_' to
separate words in variable names (e.g., foo_bar). So the usage
would look like this:

a := $(call foo-bar,a,b)
b := $(foo_bar)

If you want some syntactic distinction for function calls you may
want to consider using `call' even for built-in functions:

c := $(call dir,a/b/c)

Here are some more rules I use:

@@ write "t: p" instead of "t : p" or "t :p"

@@ write $(call f,a) instead of $(call f, a) or $(call f , a)

@@ Use '-' to separate words in function names (e.g. foo-bar);
   use 'define' to define functions.

@@ Use '_' to separate words in variable names (e.g. foo_bar);
   use := to assign value to a variable. Use '=' if you know
   what you are doing.

@@ Be careful with += in target-specific variables.

@@ Action explicitly requested by the user (which should correspond
   to verbs, e.g. install, clean, configure) should perform without
   regards to up-to-dateness.

hth,
-boris