Re: VPATH and Makefiles

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: VPATH and Makefiles
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 19:31:16 -0400

%% Boris Kolpackov <address@hidden> writes:

  bk> "Paul D. Smith" <address@hidden> writes:
  >> %% thirunadh rao <address@hidden> writes:

  tr> Can gmake search for "makefile" based on VPATH

  >> No.  Makefiles are searched for only in directories specified with the
  >> -I option.

  bk> Even -I won't help him/her to do what he/she wants since only included
  bk> makefiles are searched in -I-directories. What the original poster
  bk> wanted is to be able to have let's say /tmp/makefile and then

  bk> $ make -I /tmp

Ah, good point; I didn't see that.  Correct, nothing like that will work.

However, you can do this:

    $ export MAKEFILES=/tmp/makefile
    $ make

Not quite the same thing but perhaps it's helpful.