Re: Parsing makefiles.

From: Travis Spencer
Subject: Re: Parsing makefiles.
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 11:38:02 -0700

On 8/30/05, Paul D. Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
> The other idea is to write a special rule that just prints the values of
> variables.  You could use $(.VARIABLES) if you have a new-enough version
> of GNU make (beware of blowing out your environment :-/).  Then you
> would run "make print-my-vars" or whatever to get the output.

In case others are wonder hwo to do what Paul is suggesting, check out
this explination:

http://www.cmcrossroads.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=29581

In the tutorial, the author, John Graham-Cumming, said to ivoke make like this:

        gmake -f Makefile -f helper.mak printvars

I had to reverse the order like Fredrik did in his earlier post like this:

        gmake -f helper.mak printvars -f Makefile

My test Makefile is at http://www.travisspencer.com/stash2/tests/helper.mak

--

Regards,

Travis Spencer