Re: multiple targets for a single command

From: Boris Kolpackov
Subject: Re: multiple targets for a single command
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 10:16:40 +0000 (UTC)

Alessandro Vesely <address@hidden> writes:

> I'd be curious to know if the changes done for 3.81, e.g. second
> expansion, made it easier or more difficult to possibly implement
> that feature.

I don't see how the second expansion would be useful in solving this.
The second expansion is used in the prerequisite list while this
"problem" (I put it in quotes because I don't really think it is
a big deal; there are implicit rules that one can use to get the
desired effect) is in the target list.

> Any plan about it?

I don't have any plans (or needs, for that matter) in this area.

> Unfortunately, the '$' character is used as a name separator,
> so this is one case where recent changes make life more difficult.

I don't think that when people at Sun decided to use '$' in file
names they didn't consider the consequences. It was known that
POSIX make has no provision for handling '$' in file names.

Perhaps they decided that you shouldn't use make to build Java
classes?

-boris