Re: Does (normal) prerequisite order matter?

From: Boris Kolpackov
Subject: Re: Does (normal) prerequisite order matter?
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 06:01:18 +0000 (UTC)

"Paul D. Smith" <address@hidden> writes:

>   me> prereq2: | prereq1
>
> This says "prereq1 must complete before prereq2 will be run, BUT the
> decision on rebuilding prereq2 will completely ignore prereq1."

It also says that if prereq2 is to be updated then prereq1 will be
updated as well. This becomes important if we add target2 to the
original makefile:

target1: prereq1 prereq2
target2: prereq2

prereq2: | prereq1

Now if you say 'make target2', prereq1 will be updated even though
it's not needed. BTW, this is related to out earlier discussion
about .WAIT vs "truly order-only prerequisites".

hth,
-boris