Re: Does (normal) prerequisite order matter?

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Does (normal) prerequisite order matter?
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 15:03:20 -0500

%% Boris Kolpackov <address@hidden> writes:

  bk> "Paul D. Smith" <address@hidden> writes:
  me> prereq2: | prereq1

  >> This says "prereq1 must complete before prereq2 will be run, BUT the
  >> decision on rebuilding prereq2 will completely ignore prereq1."

  bk> It also says that if prereq2 is to be updated then prereq1 will be
  bk> updated as well.

Not quite; I know what you meant but to be perfectly accurate, it says
that if prereq2 is to be updated then prereq1 will be _checked to see if
it needs to be updated_.  If it doesn't, it won't be updated.

  bk> This becomes important if we add target2 to the original makefile:

  bk> target1: prereq1 prereq2
  bk> target2: prereq2

  bk> prereq2: | prereq1

  bk> Now if you say 'make target2', prereq1 will be updated even though
  bk> it's not needed.

Yes, good point.