Re: Exit code, exit status, errorlevel

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Exit code, exit status, errorlevel
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 11:50:56 -0400

%% "Leeuwesteijn,Joost" <address@hidden> writes:

  l> Does make return the exit code that caused the build to fail?

No.  See the section "How to run 'make'" in the GNU make manual:

     The exit status of `make' is always one of three values:

  `0'
       The exit status is zero if `make' is successful.

  `2'
       The exit status is two if `make' encounters any errors.  It will
       print messages describing the particular errors.

  `1'
       The exit status is one if you use the `-q' flag and `make'
       determines that some target is not already up to date.  *Note
       Instead of Executing the Commands: Instead of Execution.

This is mandated by POSIX, IIRC.