RE: Exit code, exit status, errorlevel

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: RE: Exit code, exit status, errorlevel
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 07:52:49 -0400

%% "Leeuwesteijn,Joost" <address@hidden> writes:

  >> This is mandated by POSIX, IIRC.

  l> This is the first time I've heard of a POSIX make standard.
  l> I've found this:
  l> http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/make.html
  l> If that's what you mean. I'll have a look at it later.

Yes, that's it.  Well, that the SuS standard but these days they're
essentially the same thing.

The standard for make is extremely anemic; hardly anything of any
substance is standardized.  The standard doesn't even provide an
"include" facility.

GNU make is not required to implement nothing but the standard.  That
is, I don't have any mode in GNU make that will reject any makefile that
uses a non-POSIX feature.

But, GNU make is required to correctly process any makefile that
conforms to the standard (where "correctly" means "as specified by the
standard").  There are some known exceptions to even that that I've not
bothered to worry about; for example the standard preserves variable
names beginning with "." for predefined make variables, but GNU make
predefines many variables that don't begin with ".".