escape sequences

From: Brendan Heading
Subject: escape sequences
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 22:44:21 +0100

Strictly not a Make question, this, but it's close. I'm trying to figure out a way I can automate a method whereby I can convert a recursive make situation into one single makefile, by parsing (a little bit) the existing Makefiles (this is a bit easier than replacing the whole thing).

I've got most of the details worked out, but one thing I'd like to do is pull in multi-line variables, you know :

FILES=one \
        two \
        three

Obviously if you "cat foo |grep FILES" you'll get "FILES=one \" in the output. I want something that understands the escape characters so that it reads in all the lines and treats it as one line (which is technically what it is).

Any pointers, or shall I just go away and write an awk script to do it ?

Thanks

Brendan