Opposite of .PHONY

From: Thomas Mogwitz
Subject: Opposite of .PHONY
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 18:36:48 +0200

Hello group,

I'm using GNU make 3.81 and am trying to accomplish a goal that looks like the
opposite of the
PHONY feature: I have a target named 'install', which is not an actual file, an
has certain
prerequisites and a command (which basically copies the built binaries to the
installation location).

Now I would like make to run the command only if one of the prerequisites has
been remade. But
since 'install' is no file, make does it always. I don't really like the idea
of creating an empty
file with each command that builds one of the prerequisites. Is there another
way?

Kind regards,
Thomas

-- A fool with a tool is still a fool, but a dangerous one.