Re: Re: Opposite of .PHONY

From: Thomas Mogwitz
Subject: Re: Re: Opposite of .PHONY
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 14:31:52 +0200

Hello Eric,

Am Donnerstag, dem 17.08.2006 um 12:45 Uhr schrieben Sie zum Thema
Qt license due for renewal:

>     Thomas> Now I would like make to run the command only if one of
>     Thomas> the prerequisites has been remade.  But since 'install' is
>     Thomas> no file, make does it always.  I don't really like the
>     Thomas> idea of creating an empty file with each command that
>     Thomas> builds one of the prerequisites.  Is there another way?
>
> My understanding is that you only need a single empty file for the
> "install" target, not "an empty file with each command that builds one
> of the prerequisites".  For example, from (info "(make)Empty
> Targets"), I see
>
>          print: foo.c bar.c
>                  lpr -p $?
>                  touch print
>
>     With this rule, `make print' will execute the `lpr' command if either
>     source file has changed since the last `make print'.  The automatic
>     variable `$?' is used to print only those files that have changed
>     (*note Automatic Variables::).
>
> I think that would do what you want, if you substituted "install" for
> "print", and various installation commands for "lpr".

Yes, that's what I want. I was so afraid of having to change my numerous
build commands that didn't see the obvious. Thank you very much for your
help.

Kind regards,
Thomas

-- A fool with a tool is still a fool, but a dangerous one.