Re: Convert nmake Makefile to GNU Makefile

From: Tom Browder
Subject: Re: Convert nmake Makefile to GNU Makefile
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 06:57:51 -0600

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:07 PM, Achugatla, Vijay K. (LNG-CON)
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I am currently using nmake (nmake3.6) in Solaris to build the source. I have
> moved the source to Linux and need to build it using gmake (GNU Make 3.80)
>
> Please let know if there is any document with instructions or guidelines
> available for converting name Makefiles to GNU Makefiles

Hi, Vijay.  The make manual is available online here:

  http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html#Top

This section, discussing GNU make's missing features may help in your
conversion:

  http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html#Missing

I would start off by doing whatever adjustments are necessary from
your reading of the missing features section, and then try it and make
any corrections from there.

By the way, I recommend upgrading to the latest version: 3.81.

Good luck.

-Tom