RE: Looking for help improving performance (advice or potential contract

From: Rakesh Sharma
Subject: RE: Looking for help improving performance (advice or potential contract position)
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2014 01:21:42 -0700

>From your description what seems to be ailing your build systemis the
>architecture of your makefile itself.
Without any clues as to what ails your build (since you didnt provide the
makefile), you need to make your makefile non-recursive in order to reap the
speed dividends. The changes that you talk about (simply-expanded variables, no
shell commands, etc.) go only so far in gaining speed.
For more help you can look up the Miller paper on non-recursive makefiles which
explains the reasons for slow/inaccurate builds & also how to overcome them.
HTH
-Rakesh