Re: Looking for help improving performance (advice or potential contract

From: Philip Guenther
Subject: Re: Looking for help improving performance (advice or potential contract position)
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2014 23:42:55 -0700

On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 11:35 PM, Warlich, Christof
<address@hidden> wrote:
>> > Be sure, if you have auto-generated dependencies, that you're using the
>> > "new method" and not the one
>> > documented in the GNU make manual which requires re-invoking make
>>
>> That sounds interesting: The only way I know to generate dependencies is the
>> one described in
>> section 4.14 (Generating Prerequisites Automatically).
>> Could you give some pointer describing the "new method" to accomplish this
>> task?
>
> As I'm really curious (and lost) on that topic: Could you give some hint what
> you were referring to?

Check out this page on Paul's web site:
    http://make.mad-scientist.net/autodep.html#advanced

For at least the last 7 years, gcc actually has additional options -MF
-MP and -MT which practically eliminate the need for the sed scripting
described on that page; concentrate on the underlying concept of
generating as part of compilation and then work out the best way to do
that on your system.

Philip Guenther