Re: Parallel jobs with order-only prerequisites

From: Steven Simpson
Subject: Re: Parallel jobs with order-only prerequisites
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 15:59:24 +0100

On 13/10/14 08:45, Steven Simpson wrote:
There's a relationship between %.done and %.api, which is that %.api is a (potentially non-updating) by-product of building %.done, and that information is needed for parallelism, but it can't be represented using : or :| between them.

However, I just tried adding:

bar.api: | bar.src
baz.api: | baz.src

...and that appears not to break the serial semantics I've managed to get, while making it work in parallel too!

This turns out to be one of the things I'd already tried. A profile-influencing change to bar causes it to be recompiled, and bar.api to be restamped. However, it isn't detected by foo, until Make is invoked again. This only happens on a parallel build.