help-nano

Re: [Help-nano] No colour

From: Neil Brown
Subject: Re: [Help-nano] No colour
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 16:22:06 +0100

At 05:14 PM 23/06/2003 +0200, you wrote:
On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 03:53:21PM +0100, Neil Brown wrote:
> I've recently installed nano on my system while giving linux from scratch a
> go.  I'm very pleased and like the idea of the colour syntax highlighting
> but my system has no colours other than white and bright white.  My system
> is as follows:
>
> neil ~/work: nano --version
>  GNU nano version 1.2.1 (compiled 21:47:46, Jun 18 2003)
>  Email: address@hidden    Web: http://www.nano-editor.org/
>  Compiled options: --enable-extra --enable-color --enable-multibuffer
> --enable-nanorc
>
> I'm not sure what I did wrong in the install step, can anyone point me in
> the right direction?

Colour isn't enabled by default in the config files. Have a look at
nanorc.sample in the tar.gz. At the end you'll see some rules for colour
syntaxes. If you uncomment them, you'll get colour. Oh, install that
file as ~/.nanorc, of course.

My apologies, I had not told the full story (my mind is elsewhere today I think!) I have uncommented the syntax colouring, I get limited syntax highlighting, but only white and bright white (e.g atm C comments and keywords appear bright white), despite being in the config file as bright blue/bright green.

Thanks for the prompt response,

Neil.