Re: a problem with mouse interaction

From: E. Joshua Rigler
Subject: Re: a problem with mouse interaction
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 09:29:07 -0700

On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 08:39, Paul Laub wrote:
> Alex,
>
> Look at the gnuplot documentation. Or go to www.gnuplot.info.
>
> For gnuplot 4.0 for Windows (assuming you are using Windows), mouse
> interaction is toggled on/off by putting the cursor over the plot and
> pressing the "m" key. (There are other toggles, too. "g" turns a grid
> on / of. Pressing "h" produces a help listing in the gnuplot text
> window.) Maybe gnuplot is launched by Octave with mouse interaction
> turned off.
>
> Also, when reporting problems, it helps if you mention what computer
> and operating system you are running Octave on. Also mention your
> version of gnuplot.  The more details supplied, the better the help
> people can offer.
>
> Paul Laub

(Re-arranged for bottom-post reply)

Actually, gnuplot has never worked this way with Octave since it first
introduced the mouse functionality (at least not in X-windows).  It is
not automatically enabled if gnuplot's input comes from a pipe, which is
is the case in Octave.  To get mouse functionality, I have the following
lines in my .octaverc:

  gnuplot_command_plot = "set mouse; plot";
  gnuplot_command_splot = "set mouse; splot";

Occasionally something happens internally and I lose mouse-ability
altogether, and can't get it back without restarting Octave.  I don't
know if this is a problem with Octave or Gnuplot, but it usually comes
about after much zooming, un-zooming, gsetting, etc. (it is not easily
repeatable, so I've never bothered to track it down).  If someone has a
better solution than the .octaverc lines above, please share.

-EJR