Re: R graphics

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: R graphics
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 16:03:37 -0400

On 17-Apr-2005, Mike Miller wrote:

| On Sat, 16 Apr 2005, Duncan Temple Lang wrote:
|
| > Before RMatlab came ROctave.  It is a basic implementation that could
| > use updating and enhancement.
| >
| >  http://www.omegahat.org/ROctave/
| >
| > I am very keen to see R and its packages being used in other systems,
| > contexts, etc. as I think this is the way to further the use of good and
| > new statistical methodology in applied areas.
|
| Nice.  Sorry I missed it, but I when I looked here...
|
| http://www.omegahat.org/
|
| ...and saw nothing about Octave, I assumed it didn't exist.  But that page
| has "Recently Updated packages" and it looks like ROctave has not been
| updated since 10/2002, so that's probably why ROctave wasn't listed.

I did a small amount of work on it after that (I don't remember
whether I made any significant changes).  Chances are that with all
the changes to Octave in the last two years that it will not build
cleanly now.

In any case, I would also like to see ROctav improved and maintained.
The primary problem that I see is that Octave and R are both moving
targets, so it is likely that the code will need to be actively
maintained to keep it working.  This is especially true for Octave,
which does not yet have a stable API that you can depend on.

jwe