Re: getting a Graphic

From: James R. Phillips
Subject: Re: getting a Graphic
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 12:48:21 -0800 (PST)

--- "John W. Eaton" wrote:

> On 29-Nov-2005, Jean-Francois Cardoso wrote:
>

> | >From the command line, you can also use "import" from ImageMagick or
> | "xwd" (a standard X11 utility).   See:
> |

> http://www.saragossa.net/linux-tips/page.php?key=Capturing+Screen+Shots
> |
> | By the way, this technique (capturing a window) is great for
> | mutliplots since "print" does not work for these.
>
> I suppose this works, but I dont' think I would call it "great".
> You'll end up with a low-resolution bitmap that won't scale well.

Right.

The use of eps format in openoffice.org docs is not that hard.  You may use
epstool (available in Debian and Cygwin) to add a bitmap preview to the eps
file, which will display on-screen in openoffice.org.  When printing to
postscript (file or printer), the figure will be printed using its eps vector
representation.  Exporting the document to pdf within openoffice.org will not
get the vector representation, so it is best to print in postscript format to a
file, then use ghostscript (available on all platforms) to "distill" the
postscript to pdf.

Sorry I sent this off-list initially.

jrp