new to octave - need help with running user-defined function files

From: Theresa Bullard
Subject: new to octave - need help with running user-defined function files
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 17:32:54 -0800

Dear Octave List,

I am new to Octave and have loaded everything successfully and am able to run built-in functions and such, but I seem to be having trouble with getting Octave to see and run any user-defined functions. I've read the online manual sections dealing with this but am not clear on a couple points.

1. what is the appropriate syntax to use for changing LOADPATH once Octave is running?

2. Since I haven't figured out how to add another path for Octave to search in for function files, I've placed the files in one of the paths that is already in DEFAULT_LOADPATH (/usr/local/share/octave/2.1.71/site/m//), and when I use the built in function 'file_in_loadpath(filename)' it keeps returning empty results for the all of the new user-defined function files I've downloaded or that I've created myself. Whereas if I search for octave functions in the same directory path it will find them. From the manual it seems like I can add new function or script files even while Octave is running and as soon as I call the new function from the command line it should search the directories and then compile it on the fly, if needed (based on time-stamp). Is this true? If so, why is it not able to see these new function files or script files I've put into the default paths? Is there a way to force compile all these functions?

Any clarification or suggestions for getting started here is much appreciated. I'm running Octave through X-11 in Mac OSX (10.3.9)

Thanks,
Theresa