Re: `clear variable` does not work ?

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: Re: `clear variable` does not work ?
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 06:34:12 -0800 (PST)

--- "John W. Eaton" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On  1-Feb-2008, Sergei Steshenko wrote:
>
> | Actually, it looks even more complicated now.
> |
> | What does "The local variable X is linked to the global variable X" exactly
> mean ?
> |
> | If in a given scope there are two entities named "X", how does one
> differentiate
> | between them ?
>
> I described the way global variables work in Octave as simply as I
> think I can.  Global variables work this way because they have to work
> in a way that is compatible with Matlab.  Sorry if you are unable to
> follow.
>
> | In Perl, for example,
>
> The way Perl works is somewhat irrelevant here, no?
>
> jwe

The key sentence is compatibility with Matlab.

Regarding inability to follow - the word "link(ed)" has different meanings
in the contexts of, say, symbolic links to a file <-> linking object files into
an executable.

I am unfamiliar with the "link(ed)" in the context of global <-> local variable
with the same name, and I gave the Perl example to explain the situation I'm
familiar with.

I do not have Matlab, and I do not have experience in it, that's why the concept
of linking global and local variable with the same name is unknown to me.

Thanks,
  Sergei.

Applications From Scratch: http://appsfromscratch.berlios.de/

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs