Large Ascii Files and "textread.m"

From: Michael Barton
Subject: Large Ascii Files and "textread.m"
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 10:49:04 -0700

I'm reading a large ascii file.  I want to read entire lines of the file and store them as strings.  Also, I need to be able to reference back in order to read following lines.  Hopefully, this example can demonstrate what I'm trying to do.

MyAsciiFile.txt
This is the 1st line of the file.
This is the 2nd line of the file.
This is the 3rd line of the file.

I/O CODE:
MyFileID = fopen("MyAsciiFile.txt", "r");
StringLine1 = SomeTextReadingFunction(MyFileID);
StringLine2 = SomeTextReadingFunction(MyFileID);
StringLine3 = SomeTextReadingFunction(MyFileID);

IN OCTAVE MEMORY:
StringLine1 = "This is the 1st line of the file."
StringLine2 = "This is the 2nd line of the file."
StringLine3 = "This is the 3rd line of the file."

From sources online, the "textread" should accomplish this.  When I run "doc textread", Octave finds no entries. I'm using version 3.0.1 on XP with out cygwin.  Any suggestions?