Re: Failure to compile Octave 3.0.2 on AIX 5.3

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Failure to compile Octave 3.0.2 on AIX 5.3
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 11:29:01 -0400

On  3-Oct-2008, Alisdair Tullo wrote:

| Hi,
|
| On Fri, 3 Oct 2008, John W. Eaton wrote:
| > What is the output from running
| >
| >  nm boolSparse.o | grep mx_el_eq
| >
| > on your system?
|
| Here's the output, no unmangling was necessary.
|
| $ nm -X 64 boolSparse.o | grep mx_el_eq
| .mx_el_eq(const SparseBoolMatrix&,const SparseBoolMatrix&) T       29060
| .mx_el_eq(const SparseBoolMatrix&,const bool&) T       19116
| .mx_el_eq(const SparseBoolMatrix&,const double&) U           -
| .mx_el_eq(const bool&,const SparseBoolMatrix&) T       24088
| .mx_el_eq(const double&,const SparseBoolMatrix&) U           -
| mx_el_eq(const SparseBoolMatrix&,const SparseBoolMatrix&) D      120400
   24
| mx_el_eq(const SparseBoolMatrix&,const SparseBoolMatrix&) d      117592
    8
| mx_el_eq(const SparseBoolMatrix&,const bool&) D      120208          24
| mx_el_eq(const SparseBoolMatrix&,const bool&) d      117528           8
| mx_el_eq(const bool&,const SparseBoolMatrix&) D      120304          24
| mx_el_eq(const bool&,const SparseBoolMatrix&) d      117560           8

OK, these symbols (at least the ones involving bool scalars) should be
coming from the

  SPARSE_SMS_EQNE_OP_DECLS (SparseBoolMatrix, bool, OCTAVE_API)
  SPARSE_SMS_BOOL_OP_DECLS (SparseBoolMatrix, bool, OCTAVE_API)

  SPARSE_SSM_EQNE_OP_DECLS (bool, SparseBoolMatrix, OCTAVE_API)
  SPARSE_SSM_BOOL_OP_DECLS (bool, SparseBoolMatrix, OCTAVE_API)

  SPARSE_SMSM_EQNE_OP_DECLS (SparseBoolMatrix, SparseBoolMatrix, OCTAVE_API)
  SPARSE_SMSM_BOOL_OP_DECLS (SparseBoolMatrix, SparseBoolMatrix, OCTAVE_API)

macros in boolSparse.h and

  SPARSE_SMS_EQNE_OPS (SparseBoolMatrix, false, , bool, false, )
  SPARSE_SMS_BOOL_OPS (SparseBoolMatrix, bool, false)

  SPARSE_SSM_EQNE_OPS (bool, false, , SparseBoolMatrix, false, )
  SPARSE_SSM_BOOL_OPS (bool, SparseBoolMatrix, false)

  SPARSE_SMSM_EQNE_OPS (SparseBoolMatrix, false, , SparseBoolMatrix, false, )
  SPARSE_SMSM_BOOL_OPS (SparseBoolMatrix, SparseBoolMatrix, false)

in boolSparse.cc.  But I odn't see any place that there are
declarations for the double versions.

Can you capture the preprocessed output from xlC?  That should at
least show where these are declared or referenced in this file.  With
g++ I'd add the -save-temps option to CXXFLAGS and run

  make boolSparse.o

in the liboctave directory in the build tree.  I don't know what the
corresponding option is for xlC.

jwe