Re: Building Octave Statically (and without graphics)

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: Re: Building Octave Statically (and without graphics)
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 22:27:48 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Wed, 10/21/09, Raymond at SDSU <address@hidden> wrote:

> From: Raymond at SDSU <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: Building Octave Statically (and without graphics)
> To: address@hidden
> Date: Wednesday, October 21, 2009, 10:48 AM
>
> My application is also a cluster, without graphics support
> on the nodes.  I'm
> trying to build Octave from source on a cluster that I
> don't have root
> access to and even the X11 include files aren't
> there.  Is there an easy way
> to configure for a minimal build?
>

> Tim Currie wrote:
> >
> > Hi!
> >   I'm trying to build a static Octave
> binary on Fedora 9. In building
> > all the deps as static libs, I ran into trouble with
> the requirement for
> > libGL. It seems (according to comments in the Mesa
> configure script)
> > that Mesa cannot be built statically, as the DRI
> requires that the
> > drivers be dynamic, which seems to conflict with the
> explicit assertion
> > in the documentation that Octave can, in fact, be
> built as a static
> > binary on Linux.
> >   This might be beside the point if I
> can figure out how to build Octave
> > *without any graphical capability*, as the Octave
> configure script
> > suggests is possible, because this build is going to
> be run on a large
> > cluster. But alas, this doesn't work any better than
> building Mesa,
> > which is to say that following the instructions in the
> README, as well
> > as the comments in the configure script and the
> Makefile, doesn't
> > produce the predicted results.
> >   Any suggestions you can offer or
> resources you can point me at would
> > be very much appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > -Tim Currie

Raymond,

if you're building for Linux, I have a tool which using "one button"
(rather, one complex command line) builds _everything_ needed for 'octave'
and 'octave' itself. And you do not have to be root - every target is built
in a separate non-root directory, and is installed into another separate
directory. Sources are downloaded automatically from the net.

So for I've built up to octave-3.0.5 - haven't yet had a need for a higher
version. But it shouldn't be a big deal to upgrade - the only things
which bother me is ARPACK which is not standard 'configure', 'make',
'make install', but this can be taken care of, just requires an extra
effort from me.

And so far I've built with 'gnuplot' - the only thing requiring graphics,
but getting rid of it is a matter of commenting out one line.

If you're interested, let me know, I'll send you the tool and instructions
and will help you with the build.

The tool also is not that much Linux-specific.

Regards,
  Sergei.