Re: Disabling dangerous commands

From: Thomas Karpiniec
Subject: Re: Disabling dangerous commands
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 11:17:25 +1000

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay in responding -- I've been trying out your various
ideas. I think I now have everything I need to solve this problem.

Basic restrictions:

- Commands can be disabled by setting up dummy .m files to obscure
  built-ins and by also disabling commands which manipulate the path.

- PS1 and PS2 could be customised to contain a random token at
  startup, then those commands disabled before IRC users get to use
  it. This allows the controlling process to see if a command has been
  running for too long or has opened up a subprompt.

- Run octave with a uid so it doesn't have permission to read/write
  things it shouldn't. A chroot minimises the amount of stuff which
  could be affected.

More advanced protection:

- ptrace(2) can be used to prevent use of fork() -- octave seems to
  cope fine when a fork fails this way. This can be expanded to
  prevent use of unlink(2), or anything else deemed unnecessary. It's
  OS- and architecture-specific, of course.

- A virtual machine. :) Yes, this pretty much contains any worst-case
  scenario.

Many thanks to you all! I can go ahead and finish it now.

Tom