Re: Octave too slow runnig some instruction

From: Francesco Potortì
Subject: Re: Octave too slow runnig some instruction
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 12:00:24 +0200

sd83:
>> I'm working on a program and I have wrote a quite simple m-file which
>> generates a random closed curve. I have runned it by octave versions 3.0.5,
>> 3.2, 3.2.4 but always the same problem: too slow.
>> The executing time of Octave is 35 seconds, matlab's executing time is less
>> than 1 second!
>> Why?
>> The problem is that I will have running this functions thousands of times
>> into my program!
>>
>> Can anyone help me?
>>
>> Thank you very much.

Jaroslav Hajek:
>I assume your code looks like this (you've shown nothing, so it's a
>good assumption):
>
>if (exist ('OCTAVE_VERSION'))
>  sleep (35); % it's Octave, be slow
>else
>  sleep (0.1); % it's Matlab, be fast
>end
>
>the solution is simple, just use 0.1 in the first branch as well. You
>can even outperform Matlab by using a lower value!
>
>:D

Jaroslav was obviously joking, but the matter is: how ever could anyone
help you without you giving more detail?  You should at least post the
code.

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice: +39 050 315 3058 (op.2111)
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Fax:   +39 050 315 2040