Re: Empty plot

From: John B. Thoo
Subject: Re: Empty plot
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 06:24:52 -0800

On Dec 17, 2010, at 5:19 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:

> On Dec 16, 2010, at 10:39 PM, John B. Thoo wrote:
>
>> Hi.  I'm sorry if this is a FAQ, but I haven't been able to find an answer.
>>
>> I'm using Octave 3.2.3 on Mac OS X 10.6.4 in X11.  When I try to plot, I get
>> an empty plot window and this:
>>
>> octave-3.2.3:1> getenv ("GNUTERM")
>> ans = x11
>> octave-3.2.3:2> x = 0:0.1:pi;
>> octave-3.2.3:3> plot (x, sin(x))
>> octave-3.2.3:4>
>> gnuplot> set palette file "-" binary record=64 using 1:2:3:4;
>>                                                           ^
>>        line 0: Gray scale not sorted in gradient.
>>

>> octave-3.2.3:4>
>>
>> When I start gnuplot on its own, I see that I have Version 4.2 patchlevel 5.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.
>>
>> ---John.

>> "There are no atheists in foxholes."
>> ---Fr. William T. Cummings, M.M. (WWII, Philippines)
>> [_The Grunt Padre_, CMJ Marian Pub., p. 56]
>
> http://atheism.about.com/od/atheismmyths/a/AtheistsFoxhole.htm
>
> John, please tell us where you got your Octave. Was it from MacPorts, Fink,
> Sourceforge, or somewhere else?
>
> Also it is possible to have more than one version of gnuplot. Please check
> which one Octave is using by typing ...
>
>       __gnuplot_version__
>
> Since you're set up to use X11, please make sure the X11.app is running
> before you try to plot. I've had some troubles in X11 on MacOS X, and often
> have to quit X11 and start it again.
>
> Ben

Hello, Ben.  Thanks for your reply.

I'm using Thomas Treichi's binary of Octave from sourceforge.  The thing is
that I could plot in X11 using Thomas's previous version on my former PowerBook
12".  It was only after upgrading to Octave 3.2.3 i386 because I had gotten a
MacBook Pro that plotting broke.

I had asked about this previously

<http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/set-palette-file-quot-quot-binary-record-64-using-1-2-3-4-td2292036.html>

but didn't get any reply then.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to figure
out the problem since, either.

By the way, this is what Octave returns for gnuplot version:

octave-3.2.3:1> __gnuplot_version__
ans = 4.2.5
octave-3.2.3:2>

Thanks again for your reply.