Re: Load UTF-16 files

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Load UTF-16 files
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 16:02:50 -0600

Dear Mr Guard,

On 20 March 2011 12:06, Freak Guard <address@hidden> wrote:
> I got a file with ascii-data in utf-16 here, how do I load it directly

I'm not sure that "ASCII data in UTF-16" is the correct term. Perhaps
ASCII characters encoded in UTF-16? At any rate, a file is just a
sequence of bytes, and trying to guess its encoding could be
challenging. What other encodings should we attempt to guess? Do you
have a suggestion on how to do this?

It appears to me that ASCII characters encoded in UTF-16 is a
relatively rare occurrence, and I can't imagine that this problem
affects many users. Can you confirm or deny?

Many thanks,
- J. Gutiérrez