Re: inadequate/inconsisten 'help pkg' message; problems with downloading

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: Re: inadequate/inconsisten 'help pkg' message; problems with downloading
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 11:26:06 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Wed, 8/3/11, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:

> From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: inadequate/inconsisten 'help pkg' message; problems with
> downloading
> To: "Sergei Steshenko" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Wednesday, August 3, 2011, 10:36 AM
> I have 11 messages from you talking
> about pkg.m, and you opened a bug
> report that points to these 11 messages (and growing).
>
> It's a little difficult to figure out exactly what you're
> talking
> about, especially since you seem to be changing your mind
> about what
> you did in the past and how it should have worked.
>
> If I could be as bold as to ask, would you be able to clean
> up your
> results and present a clear summary of what you think the
> problems
> are, and put that in your bug report instead of merely
> pointing to
> this
>
> Note also that Octave-Forge packages are curently
> maintained
> separately from core Octave, which may account for many of
> the
> problems you're seeing.
>
> Thanks,
> - Jordi G. H.

IMO you've made a number of empty claims here.

You better answer each individual message.

I've started this thread with the hope other Octave users will be able
to quickly see what to expect.

If you _carefully_ read what I've written, you'll understand that I mostly
ask questions about Octave core - in most cases I can't figure out
what is the root cause of problem.

For example, messages about non-existent directories - do they appear
because of problems in the packages or in Octave core ?

stdout/stderr look to me like Octave core problem. Ditto  the download
problem. Ditto impossibility to delete packages.

Regards,
  Sergei.

P.S. Based on 'matio' replies of yours and based on some earlier your
replies to me I wouldn't be missing much _your_ replies in this thread.