Re: Video Package Installation for x86_64 (OS X)

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: Video Package Installation for x86_64 (OS X)
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2011 03:59:13 +0000

On 25 December 2011 19:25, Cihan Baran <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is my first post on posting here and first real attempt at trying to
> build open-source software.
>
> (1) For the last week or so, I've worked on compiling the video package for
> my Macbook Air that uses x86_64 architecture. I've managed to do this.
> Now I want to share this knowledge so that other people don't run into this
> issue. Here are the two crucial things.
> (1.1) The newest version of ffmpeg 0.9 (well known unix tool for decoding
> and encoding) and AVIHandler.cc (source code from the octave video package)
> are incompatible. There are some function name changes and some enumerated
> type name definition changes. By googling around, I was able to exact the
> necessary changes. Here are the crucial links that gave clues about how to
> patch:
>
> http://sage.ucsc.edu/fink_intel_10.6_64bit/10.6/stable/main/finkinfo/sci/video-oct.patch
> http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-cvslog/2011-April/035929.html
> https://code.ros.org/trac/opencv/attachment/ticket/1020/ffmpeg_build.patch
>
> (1.2) It seems as if more changes may be needed, since I'm getting the
> following whenever I do aviread:
> Using network protocols without global network initialization. Please use
> avformat_network_init(), this will become mandatory later.
>
> (2) Also, it seems that mkoctfile simply ignores some OSX specific linker
> flags - it chokes saying it received unrecognized arguments whereas it
> should really be passing those to the linker. Specifically, I have in mind
> things like -framework CoreFoundation or -arch x86_64. In order to hack
> around this issue, I've added the following lines to the argument parsing
> section of the mkoctfile (v3.2.4 since I compiled my Octave from Mac Ports):
>
> -framework | CoreFoundation | VideoDecodeAcceleration | QuartzCore)
>       ldflags="$ldflags $1"
> ;;
> This resolved both my issues for installing the image package and the video
> package. Nonetheless, we should have a way to figure out an exhaustive list
> of platform specific compiler flags, so that someone doesn't run into a
> similar issue again for whatever platform they are using.
>
> (Or maybe it's just the way that OSX specific linker flags are passed in a
> nonstandard way -instead of the anticipated -[lLR]* | -Wl,* and hence Apple
> is really to blame.)
>
> I'm happy to pass on this knowledge to whoever maintains the video package.
> I just couldn't figure it out how to do this.
>
> Finally, thanks to everyone who contributes and volunteers to the Octave
> project.
>
> Regards,
> Cihan

Hi Cihan

Thank you for the report. The video package is part of the
octave-forge project (octave's sister project that has a collection of
many packages). I'm CC'ing this e-mail for their mailing-list.

Unfortunately, there hasn't been much
development on the video package. No commit for more than 2 years. You
said that you managed to fix the problems. Do you know how to create a
patch? You can submit them to the bug tracker
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=2888&atid=102888

To write stuff about installation and configuration, the best place
would be the octave wiki. See
http://octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=Video_package (I just created
the page now).

Carnë