Re: help_install octave

From: Isak Delberth Davids
Subject: Re: help_install octave
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 14:02:15 +0200

On 28/12/2011, yashar mehmani <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
> Can somebody please tell me the simplest way of installing Octave 3.4 in
> Ubuntu 11.10? I'm new to Linux and I have read sooo many documents online
> and they just confused me and some of them didn't work. I just want to get
> Octave installed and running so I can run my matlab files on it.
> Thanks so much for your hel/responses in advance,
> Yashar
>
> --
> Yashar Mehmani
> Dept. of Petroleum & Geosystems Engineering
> The University of Texas at Austin
> 1 University Station, C0300
> Austin, TX  78712-0228

((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))

Hi, let me through in 3 cents:
* for using a GIU: you may install "synaptic" first (it is no longer
included from the onset), and then search for the octave package under
synaptic. I think octave dependencies will be automatically added,
which you should then install. I did this recently with Kubuntu-11.10
* alternatively, for the command line, do "sudo apt-get build-dep
octave" and then "sudo apt-get install octave" both without the
quotes.
* more knowledgeable will come in to guide more.

Cheers,
IDD