Re: Cloud Computing with Octave

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Cloud Computing with Octave
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 11:18:19 -0400

The marketing term "cloud computing" is a bit stupid, not to mention nebulous:

    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/who-does-that-server-really-serve.html

On 19 October 2012 10:58, Bazman76 <address@hidden> wrote:
> I have some Matlab code that I would like to run in EC2 but it seems this
> may not be possible as the service is only available for Matlab users in
> North America at the moment.

I'm not exactly sure how this is forbidden, from AIUI, EC2 is just a
rented computer somewhere. You can ssh into it and run your Octave
code there, but you can just as easily also run it in your local
machine. I don't see the advantage of running it in some arbitrary
remote machine in the US. Are no other machines available to you to
run your code? Have you managed to get it running locally at all?

- Jordi G. H.