Re: Woctave-another gui front end

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: Re: Woctave-another gui front end
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 16:57:31 -0800 (PST)

----- Original Message -----

Suppose you have a piece of SW with tens of buttons and menus, and looking at
buttons and menus you can't figure out what they are about.

Not because of poor GUI implementation, but because of the complexity of the
problems the SW deals with.

So, you see a "Help" button.

No, just _honestly_, what is the logical difference between pressing the "Help"
button or entering on command line

man your_program_name

or inside the program entering

help function_name

?

I myself wrote a GUI for my DSP/acoustics project with literally thousands of
sliders, but in this case it makes sense - because I use the slider to _draw_
curves, i.e. I use GUI to perform _graphical_ operations.

And yes, the your time argument is _absolutely_ valid - you need to survive
firs and only then, if you wish and have resources, to support and (alien) GPL
cause.

But also the _money_ argument is absolutely valid - either you know and thus
can pay less (the _attainable_ limit is 0), or you know less and pay more.

Using SW not knowing the fundamentals is _Very_ dangerous - I once showed how
Butterworth filter doesn't work in both Scilab and Octave (and Scilab folks
found out that in Matlab too) because of numeric accuracy issues.

And, actually, it can be made work if you know what to do - one needs to call
'butter' function in a less trivial way.

I have just learned fundamental things about 'qcad'. Quite a GUI application,
but I read the manual first.

Regards,
 Sergei.