Re: GUI - start?

From: Alexander Hansen
Subject: Re: GUI - start?
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 11:11:28 -0800

> On Dec 1, 2014, at 10:56 AM, James Russell <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Alexander,
>
> I got to 3.8.2 using fink update-all after configuring to not restrict to
> stable (my local octave installation was at 3.8.1 before that). fink list -it
> octave yields:
>
> i     fink-octave-scripts     0.3.3-1 Convenience scripts for Octave add-ons
> p     liboctave382            [virtual package]
> p     liboctave382-accelerate         [virtual package]
> p     liboctave382-accelerate-dev             [virtual package]
> p     liboctave382-aqua               [virtual package]
> p     liboctave382-aqua-dev           [virtual package]
> p     liboctave382-dev                [virtual package]
> p     liboctave382-gcc49              [virtual package]
> p     liboctave382-gcc49-dev          [virtual package]
> i     octave  3.8.2-4 MATLAB-like language for computations
> p     octave-interpreter              [virtual package]
> p     octave-interpreter-accelerate           [virtual package]
> p     octave-interpreter-aqua         [virtual package]
> i     octave382       3.8.2-4 MATLAB-like language for computations
> i     octave382-dev   3.8.2-4 MATLAB-like language for computations
> p     octave382-interpreter           [virtual package]
> p     octave382-interpreter-accelerate                [virtual package]
> p     octave382-interpreter-aqua              [virtual package]
>

> At fink, searching for packages with 'octave 382' yields 36 results, many of
> which include qtx11 or qtmac in their name.  Some include 'atlas', some
> 'ref', some simply follow octave382 with 'x11', and some have no such
> qualifier.  For what it's worth, pursuing a working installation earlier by
> another means, I installed X Quartz.  So, I expect a qtx11 variant is
> indicated.  Earlier you helped me enable install some packages to extend
> basic octave, which required something involving -dev.  How do I know how to
> get from where I am to where I need to be without disturbing the (sorry -
> rather painful) progress I've made?  Can you recommend a particular fink
> install command argument?  It is really pretty hard for a newbie to decipher
> all of the alternatives.
>
> I am guessing what I need is 'fink install octave382-qtx11-dev', but I'm
> leery of just guessing.  I've put a good deal of time into getting a working
> 3.8.2 installation in place and don't want to mess it up.
>
> Thanks so much for your help - I recognize that the community you are serving
> is very diverse in requirements, and really appreciate your helpful
> instructions.
>
> Jim

You can use either -qtx11 or -qtmac depending on whether you want the X11 GUI
or the native GUI.  You aren’t forced to use X11. :-)  And you aren’t going to
lose anything apart from some time, since you’re going to have to install Qt.
If you haven’t enabled the official binary distribution yet, I’d recommend
doing that to save time.

The cleanest way to do the swap is “fink remove —recursive octave382 ; fink
install octave-qtx11 octave382-dev”.  In Fink Commander you can use a
Binary->Remove operation on the octave382 package to accomplish the removal,
and then do your install.

I’m not sure what Octave Forge packages you have installed, but you can install
them afterwards.
--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison