Re: Windows octave-4.0.0_0.zip: octave.bat anomaly?

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Windows octave-4.0.0_0.zip: octave.bat anomaly?
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2016 13:58:52 -0800

On Tue, Feb 02, 2016 at 05:42:37 +0000, Stub wrote:
> 1) The batch script executes the "start octave-cli.exe" line when
> given the "--no-gui" option, but "start" opens octave in a new window!
> I'd say, no GUI means: stay in the same terminal/window as the calling
> batch.
>
> 2) The last line of the batch has "exit", but that will then also
> close the cmd.exe that calls the octave.bat ("exit" implodes the call
> to octave).

I believe the point of the bat file is to make it easier to have a
launcher for Octave, for those who want to have an icon to click. If you
want to run Octave as a script interpreter, you should be able to use
the executable without the bat file.

But if you want to report these discrepancies as bugs, please use the
bug tracker:

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=additem&group=octave

> Oh, another little thing: the Octave website talks about the
> --no-gui-libs option, but the octave scripts/executables do not
> mention this option, nor do they seem to recognize it.

The octave.exe or octave-4.0.0.exe executables should handle this
option. It's the same as running octave-cli directly. If it doesn't,
this could also be reported as a bug.

--
mike