help-rcs

RE: DFS Permissions problem

From: Aaron S. Hawley
Subject: RE: DFS Permissions problem
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 15:16:32 -0400 (EDT)

For you information, the error you're seeing is related to RCS's inability
to create a temporary file in the current directory.  That is my
understanding.  The error of RCS's `co` command is not very useful, and
I'm not so sure the wording of "parent directory" is even accurate.
Essentially, you should be testing your ACL settings by trying to write to
the directory by creating a file with the username/group that is giving
you trouble.  This is what RCS is trying to do and can't.

The possibility you're correct and there is inconsistent permissions
behavior between RCS and any other file system accesses (via the shell or
a text editor) means there are setuid issues (introduced by DCE) and RCS's
handling of it.  I know very little about that part of RCS without further
research.

/a