help-rcs

Re: Other users can edit/save checked out file

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Other users can edit/save checked out file
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 00:46:03 -0600

Sue Stewart wrote:
> I am using RCS v5.7 on a Windows based system.  The files are stored on a
> network drive.

I am not a ms-windows user but not seeing any other suggestions I will
guess in the dark anyway.

> I have checked out a file (w/ a lock) - this completes successfully - I get
> a message saying the file is locked.
>
> Now, another user is still able to open the file, make changes, and then
> save the file.
>
> What are we doing wrong?

On GNU and Unix systems the file permissions prevent other users from
editing your files.  Every user runs as a unique user id and the
filesystem permissions prevents different users from editing checked
out files.

  $ date > date.out
  $ ci -t-"Initial revision." -l date.out
  date.out,v  <--  date.out
  initial revision: 1.1
  done
  $ ls -l
  -rw-r--r-- 1 bob bob  29 2008-07-14 00:42 date.out
  -r--r--r-- 1 bob bob 232 2008-07-14 00:42 date.out,v

Because I own the file and it is writable only by me it can't be
modified by any other user.  (The rcs ,v file would normally be in a
shared directory which is writable by all participating users.  That
file can be modified and the lock broken by other users if they can
write to the containing directory.  This isn't shown here.)

If on your ms-windows system there is only one user then this
technique can't be used to prevent other people from editing the
files.

Again, not being a ms-windows this is only a guess.  I am very
probably wrong about the reasoning.

Bob