Re: Debian shishi package bug

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Debian shishi package bug
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 15:39:49 +0200

Russ Allbery <address@hidden> writes:

>> Should we fix the init script here?
>
> Yes.  --oknodo is needed; I'll add it.
>
>> I used the template init script from some Debian manual, so if there is
>> a problem in it, perhaps we should forward this.
>
> Yeah, I'm pondering that.  I can see cases where this is desirable (if,
> for instance, failure to cleanly stop a daemon before upgrading would
> result in data loss); we just don't happen to have any of those cases.

FYI, debian-policy has a changelog entry:

  * Bug fix: "init script stop example should use --oknodo", thanks to
    Matt Kraai. Removed the example entirely.              (Closes: #346598).

And the bug suggest using /etc/init.d/skeleton as the example
instead...  There are some difference, notably this block:

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:          skeleton
# Required-Start:    $local_fs $remote_fs
# Required-Stop:     $local_fs $remote_fs
# Default-Start:     2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop:      S 0 1 6
# Short-Description: Example initscript
#                    placed in /etc/init.d.
### END INIT INFO

Perhaps we should update the init script...

I also note that debian policy has bumped version, I'm updating
shishi/gss packages with this.

/Simon