Re: Detecting shishi from autoconf

From: Elrond
Subject: Re: Detecting shishi from autoconf
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 13:24:51 +0200

On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 01:04:18PM +0200, Simon Josefsson wrote:
[...]
> > I know, it's not your fault, just wanted to let someone
> > know about the traps available.
>
> Yup, readline is a problematic library to link to properly,

It was an example of optional dependencies. shishi has the
same optional dependencies issue.

> I'm using
> the M4 macro below in other projects.  Generally, you might want to
> check out gnulib because it contains a lot of generally re-usable
> portability glue.  See <http://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/>.  I'm
> trying to move as much as possible of code re-used between my projects
> to it, and it seems some other people are doing the same.

I know gnulib, I have the debian package on my box.

My problems with it currently:

- Getting one thing from it, gets you the whole load of it.

    readline -> getline -> getdelim

  While I'm happy, when readline is not there, I don't need
  emulation for it.

- I still haven't moved to automake (aclocal a few days
  ago at least) for historic reasons. Which means
  hand-adding all the cruft (cruft I haven't asked for in
  the first place)

- There's so much stuff in gnulib (and autoconf-archive),
  that *could* be useful to replace _working_ code, there's
  just too much of it. ;)

Thanks for the notice anyway! :)

    Elrond